Sprenkle Kin

Monday, May 15, 2006

hi from Berkeley

Hello to all from Nicole's. As you'll soon realize, it's me Kath, who forgot her password to the blog so I'm using Nicoles. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures and all from Mother's Day. I was there in my heart and thoughts. Physically however I started off flying to Oakaland at 8:30 am and was at Nicole's place by 10:00. We got all her things put in storage and did some cleaning. She's at a review session for a couple hours now and then we will head to visit Larry. She wanted to come too so we will stay till about 8 ish and then I'll bring her back here (she wants to be within walking distance for her final at 9 tomorrow). I'm going back to Larry's to spend the night (it's about 12 miles from here). Nicole has 3 plants she'll leave with Larry to take care of until she gets into her apartment. We are heading down to southern CA after her final (about 11). She will come back up on the 21 (Sun) and starts summer school Monday, oh and she works Mon am (4hrs). Busy girl.....I'm so proud of her. She is hoping to work 28 hours a week the first 6 weeks of summer school when she only has one M - W - F class then she have to see how busy she is for the second 6 weeks as she'll have 2 classes. A total of 12 units for the summer.
We stopped by the woman's house she'll be staying st for 2 weeks until she can get into her apartment June 6. We hope they can get in the weekend prior but no promises. The womans house is about 2 miles or so from campus. It is a real cute but small cottage with a lot of aniques and neat garden area with ferns, vines and flowers. There are several little sitting areas around in the gardens. There is a small loft, long and narrow with a full size bed, TV and lots of windows. The woman has been very sweet, I didn't get to meet her as she's in Scottland until the 21st. I think it will be a great short term arrangement. I'm also sure Nicole will love her cat. There is no wireless internet but the woman said Nicole is welcome to use her computer any time. I am relieved knowing she has a safe place to stay.
I didn't get to see the inside of the new apartment but we drove by, it is only 2 blocks from her old one, so again fairly close to campus and there is covered parking under the building (of course thats another $50 a month). Got to have that way to work though. Everything is soooooooo terribly expensive up here. This nothin fancy 2 bedroom apartment is $1700 a month, not including parking or any utilities (except water) They won't need a land line phone but will need wireless internet so the cable package to include basic cable and DSL is $103 a month. Money, money, money.......Thank goodness there's 3 of them at least to share the costs.
Oh, and Nicole's emmissions light came on yeasterday in her Honda so who know what that means, anything from an O2 sensor to a catylidic(sp) converter to the muffler. At least it is running well, no signs of trouble except the light so after talking to a few mechanics we are driving home tomorrow. I've got a parent class to teach Wed pm scheduled for about 80 families so I can't miss work......
Well, I am rambling killing time until Nicole gets back so maybe I'll get back to my book......pretty interesting "Animals in Translation" ... Using the mysteries of Autism to decode animal behavior. Written by Temple Grandin (she's Autistic herself, I've head her speak). She has a PhD in animal science and has designed probably 1/2 the cattle handling systems in Canada and the US.
Well, hope all is well with all of you.... Cindy, We will be at the river next weekend, May 20 to the 23 with the whole group of friends. Come on out. I'll have to get some other dates for you too. Happy for you that school is about out and you can relaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Pam have a great birthday, Let me know how that new decade is... I hear it's really pretty good. I'm not too far behind you. My love and best wishes to all the rest of you too.
Love Kath

3 Comments:

  • Wow! You both are wearin' me out! Kath you really deserve that time at the river this weekend! Have a great time as I am sure that you will. That is really cool that you get to see Uncle Larry. How is he doing? Did you take any pictures? The temporary digs looks great for Nicole, glad things are working out. Gotta run.

    By Blogger pbryan, at 2:25 PM  

  • I hope that your talk tonight goes well. I would like to talk with you about that some time. I think it would be good for us to do similar talks. And do you think I could borrow Animals in Translation when you are done? She is so awesome! That is all for now. I have an errand to run before work so I had best get going. Drive home safely.
    ~~~Suz

    By Blogger Suzanne, Suz, Zanny, Zan..., at 8:15 AM  

  • Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home